Tuesday, February 17, 2009

15 albums list



Think of 15 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically shaped your world. When you finish, tag 15 others, including me. Make sure you copy and paste this part so they know the drill. Get the idea now? Good. Tag, you're it!


~ = approximations

1. The Supremes; Greatest Hits. childhood.
2. Fleetwood Mac; Rumours. childhood.
3. No Doubt; Tragic Kingdom.<333>
4. when I was in 8th grade I listened to Alice in Chains, alright, get over it. next!
5. The Get Up Kids; Something to Write Home About. 9th grade.
6. my first cassette ever, Green Day; Dookie. 2nd grade, I remember my mom flipping out on my dad for letting me get it and saying that it was music that my cousin listened to. as if that should be enough of a reason.
7. Sunny Day Real Estate; Diary. 10th grade. I'd listen to this every day on my WALKMAN haha.
8. Interpol; Turn on the Bright Lights.
9. Nirvana; Nevermind. ~10. my aunt listened to them, so i listened to them. possibly the only band that I've continuously liked all these years.
10. The Go-Gos; two disc cd that I got for my 14th birthday. I wanted to BE them.
11. TLC; crazysexycool. I can't remember what age, maybe 3rd or 4th grade. Every girl I know had this cd, and loved it, and still swears by it.
12. The Arcade Fire; Funeral.

hmm..........

13. The Who; Tommy. 9th grade when I smoked lots of pot. Thank you James.
14. Broken Social Scene; You Forgot it in People. 11th grade.
15. NSync; No Strings Attached.

That took a little more brain power than I thought it would.

1 comment:

hmla2599 said...

1. No Doubt- Tragic Kingdom-4th grade- This was my first CD ever--a bribe from my parents to continue taking piano lessons even though my teacher was a mean cat lady. Tragic Kingdom was first time I analyzed the composition of an album from beginning to end…I never wanted to skip a song, which amazed me.
2. TLC-Crazy, Sexy, Cool—My friends and I had our own dance to “Creep”, but my favorites were “Red Light Special”, because I felt cool knowing what that meant, and that prank call interlude-“Please hand me a tissue…so I can wipe my ass!”
3. Nirvana-Unplugged-The first album to make me cry, more because of the emotion in his voice than the fact that I had discovered Cobain after he was already gone.
4. Radiohead-Pablo Honey-I don't think I even need to explain this one.
5. Fiona Applie-Tidal-SEX, in an album.
6. Beck-Mellow Gold-I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me.
7. The Velvet Underground-The Velvet Underground & Nico-7th grade-My cousin's turned me onto Velvet when I escaped the suburbs to visit them on the LES. Truly life changing.
8. Joni Mitchell-Greatest Hits-inspired my first political thoughts.
9. Weezer-The Green Album-8th grade-My friend's brother played this over The Nightmare Before Christmas, and it oddly seemed to match up
10. Nina Simone-Little Girl Blue-forever and ever and ever
11. Modest Mouse-This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About-"Dramamine"...sooooo gooooood.
12. The White Stripes-Elephant-11th grade
13. Mos Def-Black on Both Sides-Another album that is great from start to finish.
14. Macy Gray- The Trouble with Being Myself-Not enough people give this a listen. This is her most jazzy, insightful album. There are more than two songs that make me cry.
15. MGMT-Oracular Spectacular-the soundtrack to the past year.