Sunday, December 6, 2009

"glass half full shit."

I'm re-watching Garden State for the first time in about 4 years. Part of the reason I disliked it the first time around was because of Natalie Portman's character. The second part of that reason, was because someone once compared me to her character. I've always disliked her part in the movie, but I guess now after watching it a few times, she is a likable person, with a good heart, so how can you really go wrong? I guess it was her optimism that I was opposed to. Since I'm a negative Nancy. But now that I'm older, and more mature, I'm understanding the appeal to her. She's so kindhearted, sincere.
After all, this is a movie about my home state, I'm supposed to like it. And as unreal as it may seem, the movie does represent the Garden State almost one hundred percent. This shit was my high school, college years, current. Zack Braff, he did graduate from one of the Oranges with Lauryn Hill.. Supposedly..
"I realize how silly it is to take anything too seriously."
Maybe a few years too late I've felt that I should take this advice to heart.
I feel like I fully comprehend the meaning of that statement (in the present), and excuse the melancholy, but as a teenager, I was a miserable brat. But.. now, that sentence seems very close to my heart.

3 comments:

hmla2599 said...

I think girls like us get compared to that character a lot. And Zooey D. in 500 Days of Summer.

I'm not sure what I mean by "girls like us" though.

I might have to give Garden State another chance. It's hard to love something when people carry it like a bible.

raisin heart said...

I saw 500 Days of Summer with my sister and she made the same comparison. But I totally hear you.

modelcitizen66 said...

I soo envy those with the glass half full optimistic perspective.. Don't get me wrong, I'm no grinch.. But when things go ugly, it's really hard for me to "look at the bright side".. Im too busy dwelling on the shit that is messed up.. Which at the moment is the most important thing in the world.. until I fix it.. Then.. It's just meaningless.. I guess I'm fixated on conflict.. In a good way(if there is one).. :)
Take Care-